Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapters 42 - End: Namesakes and Keepsakes

It's just about the end of the book, and Robert Jordan has thrown everything into high gear, or High Ogier, if you will. (I'm so sorry, I couldn't help myself!) Once back together, everyone sets off towards the namesake of the book, and things really start happening! Remember what I said about the Blacksmith, the Swordsman, and the Trickster? It is so satisfying to know that that's not all they are!

The Eye of the World really is a fantastic read. To be completely honest, I've been worrying the whole time that this series wouldn't be the same, now that I'm older and (arguably) a more mature reader, but I'm happily surprised that it's better than I remember. I'm also connecting with different characters than I did when I was younger -- the teenage boys, when I was one myself, but now I'm fascinated by some of the older characters (Thom, even though he's not a main character per se, and Moiraine). I am also invariably drawn to Lan and Nynaeve, as individuals. They really are very complex and well-developed characters, and it is such a joy to see them take on depth as the boys (our primary window into RJ's world) grow up and mature into full-fledged characters themselves.

For those of you are all about the ending, read Chapter 51: Against the Shadow. Everybody else, read Chapter 52, because There is Neither Beginning Nor End (see what I did there?).

Now, onto The Great Hunt! As a summary, you really should read the entirety of the Eye of the World, it is fantastic, without a single misplaced word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where are you today? Walking on the slopes of Dragonmount? Fishing in the Aryth Ocean? Feel free to comment!