Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chapters 31 - 37: Chasing On and Off the Map

A shorter selection this time, since I wanted to spend some time on one of my favorite scenes in The Great Hunt, possibly in all the books. Chapter 37: What Might Be is without a doubt one of the coolest things Robert Jordan has done. It is one thing to have something told to you, even shown, such as the idea of the cycle of Ages and the prologue to The Eye of the World. It is entirely something else to be shown the battle within the lives of the main characters, over and over again, against the same colossal foe. Chapter 37 goes a long way in convincing me, as a reader, that these characters are who and what we need to prevail in the Final Battle, even if we only get Rand's perspective on all those possibilities.


If you love Loial as much as I do, you'll love how adorable he is in Chapter 36: Among the Elders. He is, in many ways, much more innocent than any of the boys, even at the beginning of The Eye of the World. And he just brings a smile to your face, every time he does anything!

Another Update: I'm growing more anxious by the day. No signs of the lost book. I am growing more weary of the search. Undoubtedly, if I were to purchase a new copy, it will appear, as if by happenstance. But I know better. Damned devious book -- I will own you! (bonus points if you read that like Sting, in the original Dune).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where are you today? Walking on the slopes of Dragonmount? Fishing in the Aryth Ocean? Feel free to comment!